Thursday, December 08, 2005

Crossing the pond... again.

First off this week, I want to thank everyone reading for sending me all of your kind support. Your letters and prayers get me through the tough days and for that I thank you. From time to time I will post various concerns, but for now a good memory and tremendous motivation is what I could use most. Now on with the show...

Ten more days stand between me and two glorious weeks in Texas. It must be ten because I've counted and recounted the scratch marks on my prison cell wall and every time it adds up to ten more days. Getting back to the ranch for Christmas with my family and girlfriend is all that I can think about lately. However, it always seems like a dream until I'm on the plane leaving the ground. So today in review I give you the Trans-Atlantic Flight...

24 hours of torture is the price to pay (on top of a good chunk of $$) for the two weeks of holiday at home. First, Israeli airport security is how we say...uh... thorough. I don't even bother packing anymore until I am past the gauntlet of x-rays and interrogations. Second, if I am unfortunate enough to get a middle seat, there will inevitably be two fat old men on both sides who encroach upon my very expensive armrests. What should be a comfortable seat turns into a cold border war rivaled only by the likes of North and South Korea. And third, sleep is impossible but also unavoidable. The time spent in a haze of waking exhaustion gives me the chance to ponder how difficult it must be for the airline to add a bit of cushion to an airplane seat and how rewarding it must be to travel with a baby.

In all fairness, air travel has come a long way. No longer are we stuck with one or two unbearable movies, but we now have a selection to choose from and meals aren't as uniform either. Although the food could still stand to be cooked by a living human being instead of an assembly line, at least the attendants dish it out on an hourly basis. Hunger is nonexistent but boredom makes for a great appetite anyway.

The moral of this story is that no matter what the airline throws at me this year, I will endure it for my family and friends, for Christmas, for Texas, and for freedom! Safe travels to you all. See you soon. Merry Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home