Friday, June 15, 2007

The Road Behind...

Here we are. After months and months, the long road of life has brought us all to the place in which we now stand... or crawl... or perhaps lie unconscious.
No matter which direction we have chosen or have had thrust upon us, this is where we are. Regardless of which path you currently travel, or the scenes it takes you through, a quick look around to gather your bearings or even to appreciate the scenery could do you some good. For the past 5 months my road has zigged, zagged, and sometimes fell out from under me, but nevertheless I am now here. It's time for a good look around....

For those of you now concerned for me, I am fine... despite a few metaphorical bruises here and there. In fact, two weeks from now I am moving back to the States. So this day marks the beginning of the end for my Israeli medical chapter and it is a very welcome change. However, I can't help but look around with a bit of... I hesitate to call it this... nostalgia. Here I am at the point that I have wanted to be for last few years and even though it was difficult, I suddenly find myself stopping at this waypoint, looking back at my desert with tired eyes, catching my breath saying, "Well...(gasp).. that wasn't...(wheeze).. so hard."
In fact, in a masochistic way I feel ready to take on almost anything now as long as it is something around the next curve. Even though I am tired, this place has taught me and pushed me so that I would become stronger and I can't help but be grateful for dusty ol' Beersheva.

A professor once told me in a survival lesson that a man can live weeks without food, days without water, hours without shelter, minutes without air, but only seconds without hope. Wherever you stand on the path, there is always hope even though the road ahead is unknown. Love and help one another as so many of you have done for me. Someday I will get the chance to help you in return.


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats T-man: I for one, but most certainly represent many on saying that I am very proud of you for hanging in and staying tough. Indeed, it has been a long haul. I look forward seeing you back home. Maybe we can get together for a little bluegrass picking and fiddling..maybe even catch a fish. Gods' speed. So as the Apostle Paul might say" I have finished the course and keep the faith"... As have you. Just keep on keeping on.
Later, Don B

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home